Wednesday 7 March 2012

My Sketchbook Project - Part 1

Iris illustration

Good news - I did indeed manage to finish my sketchbook on time for the Sketchbook Project (but only just!). Now that it's done & dusted - and has safely arrived at its new home in the Brooklyn Art Library (yay!) - I thought I'd show you a little bit more of it.

Iris illustration detail

I really enjoyed working on this project because I treated it as a kind of fun exploration of pattern and texture via drawing, painting and collage. It so was nice to do something that was about inspiration and an exploration of creativity (and not about making a product for sale, for a little change).



If you haven't come across the Sketchbook Project, it's an annual art project open to everyone worldwide which encourages people to get creative with a standard sketchbook.


The brief is really up to you (there are suggested themes, and my chosen one was "It's winter where you are" but I used it fairly loosely and really as more of a starting point!) and the final submissions go on tour, eventually being housed at the Brooklyn Art Library in New York.




For more information, and to see the dates of the 2012 Sketchbook Project world tour, visit the website.

3 comments:

Andi said...

This is so awesome Cat!

When I was at uni, we had a project kind of like this. We had to create a visual diary for the year, and could put whatever we wanted in a sketchbook that we used as inspiration, or just draw or whatever. It's such an excellent exercise and really keeps the creative juices flowing

Cat McLaughlin said...

Thanks Andrea! I LOVE the idea of a visual diary - it'd be so great to look back on and like you say, means you keep creating.

* said...

Great project! looks really good. :)